Sustainability and environmental consciousness has become a trademark in our modern lives. From the plastic bags offered at grocery stores to the water bottles we drink from, our future points toward sustainability rather than single use items. In recent years, the anti-plastic bag movement has gone full-force, and from coworkers to grocery stores, you can see people replacing their plastic snack bags and grocery bags with cloth alternatives. Celestial Gifts reusable muslin bags are economic, sustainable, efficient, and reusable, capturing the essence of the reusable lifestyle.
Large families know the strain of buying the $5 box of plastic sandwich bags every 2 weeks. We understand the importance of making that dollar stretch… and for the price of 6 months’ worth of plastic bags, families can easily buy 100 reusable 6×8 natural* cotton drawstring bags for the same price. Essentially, by replacing your plastic sandwich bags with cotton bags, you’d save an average of $100 a year. While that may seem like small savings, think about the other areas in your life where you could replace disposable, non-sustainable items with reusable bags. Even with slightly wet foods like produce or cheeses, cloth bags remain a utility.
In an earlier blog post, we showed how pioneers have been waterproofing their cottons bags for centuries by simply coating them in natural* beeswax. Once proofed, the bag can be used to store veggies and leftover ingredients that typically release moisture. It holds up to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and doesn’t carry grease released by potato chips. The bags can be easily cleaned by just rinsing them in cool, soapy water. Whether you’re looking for sustainable goods or economic alternatives, Celestial Gifts offers a variety of natural muslin bags for all of your storage needs.
The history of Halloween goes deeper than tricks, treats, and Celestial Gifts holiday themed bags. Thought to have originated from the Celtic festival of Samhain, the Celtic’s believed that on October 31st the barriers between the physical and spiritual worlds would fade, allowing ghosts, demons, and the undead to re-inhabit our world. During this night, the priests and druids of the Celtic communities were believed to receive fortune telling powers that could predict the future, offering comfort and direction for the dark, cold winter ahead. But while fortunes were being told, spirits would run amok, playing tricks on humanity and ruining crops.
These Celtic traditions were later adapted to early Christianity’s All Saints Day in 1,000 A.D., where the poor would visit the homes of the wealthy to receive “soul cakes.” In exchange, the poor would provide the homeowner with a promise to pray for the souls of their dead relatives. Later in Scotland and Ireland, this practice was named “guising,” and children would visit the homes of the wealthy dressed in costume and perform a trick, sing, or recite a poem in exchange for a “treat.”
More recently, Irish and Scottish immigrants fleeing the 1840s potato famine helped to popularize Halloween by reestablishing these traditions in the U.S. Candy wouldn’t become a commonplace to the holiday until the end of the Great Depression, once sugar rationing was ended, allowing candy companies to capitalize on the holiday, making room for the trick-or-treat bags, and candy-filled satchels that we know of today.
Trickers and treaters and all the in-betweeners – we’ve got Halloween bags custom stamped for this coming Halloween! Give out spooky “bags of bones” by filling a Celestial Gifts’ natural muslin bag with meringues, marshmallows, or white chocolate-covered pretzels. Customize them even further by decorating the marshmallows with skeletal faces using edible ink or black icing. For Halloween party planners, our bags add the perfect touch to your event where the typical plastic bag appears all too common. And since our bags are reusable, your guests can use the bags again after.
Celestial Gifts’ bags are completely customizable, so DIYer’s can rejoice in creating an array of spooky décor out of them. Paint ghastly faces on a variety of Celestial Gifts’ bags with glow-in-the-dark paint and hang them from a tree in your yard to create a tree of haunted spirits. Whichever way you decide to get into the holiday spirit, Celestial Gifts has the bags to make your Halloween truly spooktacular.
- Celestial Gifts 6×8 Bags Black Hem and Black Drawstring Bags (or any variety and size you’d like)
- Glow-in-the-dark fabric paint
- White rice (enough to fill the bag of your choosing)
Using our Celestial Gifts’ bags, paint spooky faces using glow-in-the-d ark paint onto the outside face of the bag. Let dry for an hour. Once dried, fill the bag with enough white rice to expand the bag and add weight. Hang from a tree outside your house and wait for nightfall!
The mornings are getting colder, the evenings are getting darker, and the leaves have begun to turn. It’s official: fall is here. While we love all that fall brings, it can surely get cold at times. Depending on where you live, you might have even skipped over fall and are expecting snow! Regardless, the cool mornings and oncoming cold nights means that you’ll want to dress warm, or be warm, with these nifty little rice-filled DIY hand warmers.
It’s super easy and only requires 3 materials to make, including Celestial Gifts’ bags. We recommend using smaller, 3.25×5 natural muslin bags for this project because they’re the perfect size for gripping. After you’ve made it, just microwave the hand warmers for 30-40 seconds and it’ll stay warm for up to 20 minutes! You could probably make a few of these and put them in an insulated container to swap out with at outdoor sporting events, too. Find the directions for making these reusable and economic hand warmers below!
DIY Rice-Filled Hand Warmers
- White rice (about ¾ cup per 3.25×5 bag)
- Celestial Gift’s bags of your choosing (we recommend 3.25×5 natural muslin bags)
- Essential oil of your choosing
- Microwave… (for warming purposes)
- Measure ¾ cup of white rice.
- Pour into Celestial Gifts’ bag until full.
- Place a few drops of your favorite essential oil in the bag.
- Tie the drawstrings in a tight knot!
- Rub around your hands so that the oil coats all the inside rice.
- Heat in the microwave for 30-40 second. It’s ready to use!
- If your hand warmer has lost its smell, either open the bag and place a few more drops, or place directly onto the hand warmer.
- These are perfect for people that don’t know how to sew and don’t want to go through the hassle of pins, needles, and a sewing machine!
- Freeze these and they become ice packs.
- This can only be done with Celestial Gifts’ 100% natural muslin cotton! Polyester anything will burn in the microwave. Don’t make that mistake!
Most people that use plastic bags would hardly realize that they’re a fairly recent innovation. Dating back to the Pioneers, and even further back to the Ancient Egyptians, people have used cotton bags to store food for centuries. Now, with sustainability in the spotlight, some people have restored the craft of using cotton bags over plastic.
The benefits are obvious. Aside from the environmental and potential health benefits of using natural cotton bags over petroleum-made plastic, cotton bags are completely reusable (meaning you save money). Plastic bags can be expensive, and if you use them regularly to pack lunches or store leftovers, that can add up. For an economical, sustainable, and functional choice, Celestial Gifts’ natural muslin bags provide a variety of sizes that can be used to store sandwiches, dry foods, snacks…. or even produce and leftovers.
One of the best and easiest ways to innovate our bags for additional purposes is to seal them with beeswax. A natural protectant, when beeswax is melted and applied to cotton it creates a sealing, plastic-wrap like quality. As the wax absorbs into the cotton fibers, the bag becomes less “breathable,” making it perfect for storing non-dry foods… especially since beeswax is antibacterial. Even better, you can decorate our bags before sealing them to make beautiful, economic, and sustainable storage bags that can be used time and time again.
DIY Beeswax Cotton Bags
- beeswax, grated (or pellets). About 0.5 oz. of beeswax per wrap
- Celestial Gifts’ bags of your choosing
- old cookie sheet (used exclusively for beeswax)
- paintbrush (used exclusively for beeswax)
- chop stick for stirring the wax as it melts
- cheese grater (used exclusively for beeswax)
- a make-shift clothesline and clothes pins
- Preheat oven to 185F (any higher will burn the wax).
- Place Celestial Gifts’ bags on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle evenly and lightly with grated beeswax. You don’t need a lot!
- Place in preheated oven. Watch carefully! This should take 5 minutes or less.
- As soon as the beeswax is melted, remove from oven.
- Spread wax evenly with paintbrush to cover any spots that are not yet coated (including drawstrings).
- Hang on makeshift clothes line with clothes pins to dry.
- Once cooled, flip over and repeat the process for the other side of the bag. Make sure to brush both sides after, as the wax will have melted again. Once cooled, you can use!
- If your wax starts to harden before you have evenly spread it, simply reheat it.
- This recipe uses less than 1 oz. of beeswax per bag.
- If you have a lot of wax left on the cookie sheet, place another bag on empty cookie sheet and it will absorb the extra wax.
- Wash in cool water with a mild soap.
- Each wrap will last several months or more depending on usage.
Fresh fall apples are in, and if you’re like us, you’re looking to cuddle up this autumn with a nice, warm glass of spiced cider. What’s great about this recipe is you need just a few ingredients while other cider recipes call for all kinds of crazy jazz. Of course, you shouldn’t be afraid to experiment! While we use cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and star anise, you could easily add orange zest, ginger, black pepper kernels, a vanilla pod, or allspice to make the recipe your own. The only problem is that with more spices come more unpleasant bits in your cider (which can be frustrating to get out).
That’s where our bags come into play. Celestial Gifts’ natural muslin bags make perfect spice bags for brewing or cooking. This really comes in handy for easily removing small clove and black pepper pieces from your cider. As well, it allows you to step away from your cider rather than having to constantly stir to insure that all the spices don’t clump. Our bags aren’t limited to cider, though. You can reuse our natural muslin bags to create spice bags for stews and teas as well!
Regardless of how you cider this fall, we’re sure you’ll love this easy, warm recipe. Enjoy!
Spiced Apple Cider
2 cups Apple Cider
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Anise Pod
¼ tsp. Whole Cloves
1 Nutmeg Pod
Heat up the cider, cinnamon stick, anise pod, nutmeg, and cloves in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let cider to mull until desired. Remove from the stove and garnish with orange slices.
Optional: Mix the ingredients together in a container and cover. Let sit overnight and heat the next day for a spicier cider.
Oh, my. I have just recently learned that showering the happy couple with lavender during the recessional, (making their way up the aisle as husband and wife) brings good luck and happiness. It is earth friendly, pretty and has a heavenly scent.
Did you know that throwing something has been a tradition at weddings since the ancient Roman and Egyptian times? People have used anything from rice, to bird seed and confetti and now lavender. We have a client that requested this all natural cotton bag to use at a wedding. How adorable and smart. The guests can even re-use the bags as a sachet or a keepsake.